The University of Chemistry and Technology Prague (UCT Prague) is the biggest educational institution of its kind in Central Europe. Its tradition of almost 200 years combined with progressive fields of study and good international reputation allows every student to get in touch with advanced technologies and make use of foreign student exchanges. It offers a prospect of a prestigious and highly remunerative professional career both in the Czech Republic and abroad.
The University of Chemistry and Technology Prague is comprised of four faculties:
- Faculty of Chemical Technology
- Faculty of Environmental Technology
- Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology
- Faculty of Chemical Engineering
Organisation of the year
The academic year at the University of Chemistry and Technology Prague runs from September till the end of June, and it is divided into two, summer and winter, semesters. Each semester lasts 20 weeks: 14 weeks are devoted to teaching and during the final 6 weeks, there are examinations. During the 14 weeks of teaching, students attend lectures and seminars and work in laboratories according to the given curriculum.
The winter semester usually begins in mid-September and ends in mid-December, followed by a Christmas vacation. The six-week assessment period lasts from the beginning of January till mid-February. The summer semester usually begins in mid-February and ends at the end of May. It is followed by a five-week assessment period which lasts till the end of June. The sixth week of the summer assessment period comes after the summer vacation in the first week of September.
The campus of the University of Chemistry and Technology Prague is part of an extensive university complex in Prague 6, Dejvice. Individual departments and workplaces of the UCT Prague are located in three buildings – A, B, and C (see the plan).
In building A (Technická 5) are located among others:
- Rector’s Secretariat
- Dean of the Faculty of Chemical Technology office
- In building B (Technická 3) are located among others:
- Department of International Relations
- Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Technology office
- Dean of the Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology office
- Dean of the Faculty of Chemical Engineering office
- Computing Centre and computer classrooms
- Erasmus Student Network UCT Prague
- In building C, (Studentská 6) there are mostly classrooms.
- There are also three student canteens (cafeterias) in the university complex in Dejvice where you can buy meals for student’s prices. All of them are owned by the Czech Technical University but they can be used by UCT students as well.
In the campus
Czech as a foreign language
There are Czech courses for beginners, starting from 2nd week of the semester. The schedule will be designed at the beginning of the semester and will appear on the notice board of the Department of Languages. The course is free of charge.
Otherwise you can choose from variety of Czech courses for foreigners in a commercial language schools.
Interesting links related to the university:
Everything you need to know about Erasmus at the UCT Prague – necessary documents, taught courses, organisation of the year etc. – is on the university websites. Go there, go through it, follow the instructions and later… Welcome in Prague!