The University of Chemistry and Technology Prague (UCT Prague) provides accommodation for students in its halls of residence, the so-called Jižní Město – Chodov Halls of Residence, within its available capacity. UCT Prague student halls consist of two buildings called Volha and Sázava.
Students are usually accommodated in double-bedded rooms. Two neighbouring rooms share a bathroom, a toilet and a small corridor with fridge. They are equipped with basic furniture and bedclothes. There are connectors to the computer network of UCT Prague and the Internet and a public phone line (by an application).
In Volha, there are two kitchens on each floor, but they are not equipped with dishes, only with a cooker. In Sázava, the kitchen is located in the shared corridor between the rooms.
In both halls, there are two washing machines in the each floor; it is for free to use them, but you have to book it in advance (see more in the DURING section).
Accommodation in the halls of residence costs CZK 105/day/person in double-bed room.
Students apply for the accommodation in these residences via the “Application for Accommodation” form. The form can be downloaded from:
The capacity of accommodation provided by the UCT Prague is limited, and accommodation can be guaranteed only for those students who send their applications by the set closing dates.
Deadlines for the applications are:
- June 30 at the latest for the winter semester,
- December 15 at the latest for the summer semester.
The Department of International Relations cannot guarantee accommodation or the required study programme to those students whose application will be received after the above dates!
All students must pay returnable cash deposit of CZK 3000 for their accommodation while receiving the room key. The deposit shall be returned to you after the termination of the accommodation. The deposit has to be paid in cash.
You must not lose the receipt you obtain!
If you need to change money, feel free to use the eschange office in shopping mall above the Chodov metro station.
You will get bedclothes and you can also ask for cable for internet connection if you don’t have your own. It costs CZK 100 for the 7m long one.
When moving in, check the rooms for all possible defects and inform the Accommodation Office about it.
Paying the rent
The rent for accommodation in the student rooms is to be paid in cash or with a credit card in the Accommodation Office in the lobby of Sázava till the day 25th of each month. You can pay each workday from 7 am to 2 pm. Take your UCT ID card with you. It is also possible to pay the rent in advance for several months or for whole stay. It is essential to pay the rent on time to avoid any penalty fees! We recommend to you to pay earlier than in the last day of month if you want to avoid queues.
It´s allowed to have pets in these residences, but your roommates have to agree with this! You must bring a paper with signatures of all your roommates to the accommodation office of the concerned hall of residence.
Washing machine and bedclothes
If you want to use a washing machine you have to book it via Internet: http://pracka.vscht.cz/. Just select your dormitory, floor and the day you want to use the washing machine. You can also use the so-called hourly washing machine which you reserve on the reception. You can exchange your bed clothes for a clean one in the office in -1st floor (Volha) or 1st floor (Sázava).
Accommodated students have the right to:
Get their bedclothes changed once a week
Use electrical appliances with electricity input up to 500 VA bought in the Czech Republic or other countries when having an appropriate declaration of conformity.
Accept their visitors when they show their ID in the reception and leave before 1:00 a.m. When staying overnight, visitors must have their names written down and pay fixed contribution CZK 40. They can stay only 3 days consequently and up to 6 days per month. If you want to host someone for longer time, please inform Accommodation Office.
Make a claim at the reception of the hall of residence.
Opening hours (both Volha and Sázava)
Monday to Thursday 7 a.m.- 5.00 p.m.
Friday 7 a.m.- 3.00 p.m.
BEDCLOTHES EXCHANGE HOURS
Monday to Thursday 7.00 a.m.- 9.00 a.m. and 3.00 p.m.- 5.00 p.m.
Friday 7.00 a.m.- 9.00 a.m.
Accommodated students have to:
Behave themselves considerately to others including keeping the silent hours from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Show their student UCT ID cards whenever entering the residence.
Tidy up their rooms.
Report all defects and damage at the reception of the hall of residence.
Lock their rooms when leaving them.
Let accredited persons enter their rooms.
Accommodated students mustn’t:
Use electric or gas cooker in the bedroom.
Smoking is prohibited in the residences.
Please note that not respecting the rules can result in the expulsion from the residences. If a major damage is produced in your room or if you cause a damage in the common areas, you have to pay for the repair or replacement of the damage.
To move out of the residence without any problem, you have to follow these steps:
- If you plan to move out, go to the Accommodation Office of your residence at least one month before your departure. Tell to Mrs. Valachová/Skálová the exact date when you want to move out. You will obtain a yellow form called “Inventory Handover Record”.
- With this form, go to the Accommodation Office in Sázava and pay the rent until the last day of your stay (aka the date in the form). They will confirm the payment of the rent via stamp to the form. Obviously, you better should not lose the form now…
- At least one week before your departure sign for the cleaning lady, who will check your room on the day of your departure. The rooms of the cleaning ladies are in front of the lift in 2nd floor in Sázava and 913 in Volha (in the stairwell).
- Now the really toughest task comes – to clean your room properly :-). Pack your things, clean the room (furniture, floor, toilet, bathroom etc.) and wait for the cleaning lady – she comes on the time you signed for.
- Let her to check the room, give her the form “Inventory Handover Record”. If everything is fine (clean room, no damage), she fills in the form and signs it. She will also take the key and lock the room (so do not forget anything in there).
- Go to your Accommodation Office with the signed form, bedclothes and the receipt of the deposit. You will get back the deposit of CZK 3000 if everything is fine. In case of serious damage, you may get back less money!
- Follow the points 1-5 but be aware that the cleaning ladies are available until 10 a.m. only!. On the day of your departure you will obtain the deposit in the reception. Please note, that if you lost your receipt of the deposit, the receptionist cannot return it back to you!
Not interested in living with most of the international students nearby? Find a room anywhere in Prague. Here are some tips on websites offering rooms in shared flats: